Positive Behaviour for Learning (PBL) is an evidence-based whole school approach to managing student wellbeing. The main aims of PBL are to:
• Address the diverse needs of every student
• Establish positive social expectations for all
• Provide a framework support the wellbeing of every student.
When this is implemented effectively we see a shift in the school’s culture because:
• Students have a deep understanding of what is expected of them
• Staff are consistent when responding to student behaviour
• Students feel safe and cared for at school
• Unproductive and challenging behaviour is significantly reduced.
At Belmont Public School, PBL has had a great impact already! Students are excited to be earning spirit tickets and PBL awards that relate to our behavioural expectations that are taught weekly through explicit lessons. All staff have been trained in how to respond to and encourage positive behaviour choices and how to work with students to correct undesirable ones.